Help Materials for Supervisors and Participant Liaisons
Supervisors are automatically granted the ParticipantAdmin role based on HR Data from Peoplesoft. HR representatives are given the ParticipantLiaison role for a division (2 digit OUC) based on a System Access Request sent by the group’s designated SAR admin – more information about this access can be seen in the About: Participant Admins and Liaisons section below.
- How to Register Yourself or Others (General User Guide)
- NC State Supervisor and Participant Liaison Full Guide (includes the following sections):
- View/Manage Training Assignments
- Check Training Completion – View Training Summary
- Review Employees Out of Compliance or Approaching their Due Date
- Assign Required Training
- Remove a Training Requirement
- Recommend a Course
- Instructional Videos – Please note videos differ cosmetically with the current version of the REPORTER system, but the overall functionality is consistent with the current options
About: Participant Admins and Liaisons
NC State employees that act as an HR representative for a department or division can be given filtered access to employee’s training information in REPORTER, similar to the access of a Supervisor. The access includes the ability to assign required training, recommend courses, and view associated completion records for items that have been assigned or recommended.
The Participant Liaison role is granted at the college/division (2 Digit OUC) or department (4 Digit OUC) level and gives the person view access to training summaries for all employees under the provisioned OUC, as well as access to required training related reports. An approved System Access Request (SAR) is required to gain the Participant Liaison role. A SAR should be submitted on behalf of the HR Representative to initiate receiving any additional access.
If it sounds like you need the Participant Liaison role, have the SAR Admin in your department submit a request on your behalf.
Be sure they indicate the 4 digit OUCs needed in the request and identify the role being requested as the ParticipantLiaison role.
The REPORTER System receives two data files from the Peoplesoft HR System on a nightly basis and those records are imported into the REPORTER system to be used for compliance and training management. The two files include and result in the following:
- One file includes all active employees and their general and contact information (including legal and preferred name).
- Before importing the file, REPORTER changes the system value of “Active Employee” to be No for all users.
- Then, the system will identify anyone listed in the file that does not already have an account in REPORTER (e.g. New Hires) and it will create their account.
- Lastly, it will import the data for all persons, and change “Active Employee” to Yes for those listed.
- The second file contains every active job record and a portion of the associated job data
- Includes all job records, so if someone has multiple jobs, they will have multiple records, and each record includes the “Reports to” field
- If there are multiple jobs, the primary job (the lowest “Empl Record”) is the only supervisor that gets notices
When it comes to emails sent about employees, the person included as the “Supervisor” is whoever is in the employee’s primary job record ‘Reports to’ field. This will include inactive employees but if someone has left the university, the Supervisor should unassign the training they no longer need.
The NC State HR Peoplesoft system send job data to REPORTER on a nightly basis so the related records can be updated. REPORTER uses the “Reports to” field from the HR data to determine their Supervisor and users that have employees reporting to them are automatically given access to the My Team tab which gives them access to see information for those people. Direct employees are those listing the supervisor in their ‘Reports to’ field in HR while the additional members report to someone within their 'chain of command'.
Users that have employees reporting to them are automatically given access to the My Team tab which gives them access to see information for those people.
On the 'My Team' tab when you hit "Refresh", as demonstrated here, the system will reload the employees in each panel per the following:
- Direct Reports: Grab all persons with you in any of their 'Reports to' fields and put them in 'Direct Reports'
- Additional Team Members: Then, it grabs any employees that report to your direct reports, and continues down that path to gather anyone who reports to those report to / through you. So on until no reporting employees are left — these are 'additional team members'
- Team Members: If you have the Participant Liaison role, this panel will include anyone with job record under the OUC(s) you were provisioned
Please be advised that the job data used to determine Supervisors in REPORTER come directly from the NC State HR Peoplesoft system and cannot be altered within REPORTER.
The REPORTER system receives active job record data from the NC State HR Peoplesoft system on a nightly basis. Each job record in the HR System includes a field which specifically identifies who the position "Reports to".
Compliance notices to supervisors are optionally enabled by the training owner. Each training requirement is managed by the specific person or group that oversees the compliance regulation the training is related to. In addition to making the determination of who should or shouldn't be assigned as required to complete, the training manager is responsible for the communications that are sent in relation to the training. The email warnings sent from REPORTER based on your Due Date are an optional notification that can be enabled or disabled at the training manager's discretion.
If enabled, an email is automated to send once weekly to those listed as the Supervisor of employees who are out of compliance for the Training. As Supervisors are determined by the employee's HR job record's Reports to' field, the person copied on emails cannot be altered within REPORTER. The compliance notice to supervisors is also an option enabled by the training owner and is automated to send once weekly to Supervisors that have employees who are out of compliance for the Training. The notice acts as prompt for Supervisors to then review their team's compliance warnings and follow up as needed.
If data in REPORTER appears incorrect, or if a user does not have the expected supervisor access, they need to follow up with their HR representative to correct it. Once the record is corrected, REPORTER should update within 24 hours.
- How soon should I expected to see a new employee in My Team list(s)? Employee data is sent to REPORTER depending on the hire date, or when the hire date was entered if the hire date was listed retroactively. New employees should appear in REPORTER within 24 hours of that date or when the date was entered if it is in the past.
- What should I do if my list includes someone unexpected? Make sure that you have “Refreshed” your list with the latest information. If after refreshing there are still errors, follow up with you HR representative to determine if there is an error in the job record, and to correct it if there is. Once the record is corrected, REPORTER should update within 24 hours.
- How do I check if my employee has completed training?
- What if an employee should not be assigned? Each training requirement has a specific contact person that oversees the process of identifying who should or shouldn’t be assigned as required to complete. In most cases, training can be unassigned (How to Unassign) by a Supervisor. If unassign is not available, reach out the the specific contact for that requirement to request the person be unassigned — contact information can be found in the compliance warnings report as seen at go.ncsu.edu/supervisorhelp
Each training requirement is managed by the specific person or group that oversees the compliance regulation the training is related to. In addition to making the determination of who should or shouldn’t be assigned as required to complete, the training coordinator is responsible for the communications that are sent in relation to the training. The email warnings sent from REPORTER based on your Due Date are an optional notification that can be enabled or disabled at the training coordinator’s discretion.